DIY feather hair clips that cost about $1.50 each and make you look like the prettiest guinea fowl in the roost! What’s not to like about that?
Are you convinced? Okay, set down the computer and run to the nearest thrift store, grandma’s closet or little girl’s dress up clothes chest and get yourself some clip-on earrings! Grab a pigeon or two while you’re out there!
I’m not sure exactly what defines a “fascinator,” but since this little do-dah is fancy and you can clip it in your hair, I think it counts. They take about 10-15 minutes each and become much faster after the first one. Wouldn’t they make a great DIY bridesmaid gift? Or just a “I-thought-your-head-needed-a-few-more-feathers-today” present.
Here’s what you need to make one
(or 17 if you’re like me):
-feathers (Available for $1-4 at any craft store. I used a couple of kinds to get a variety of texture.)
-a cool old clip-on earring or vintage button
-pliers (optional–to remove the back of your clip-on earring)
-hot glue gun
-stiff craft felt
-a barrette or hair comb
-a drinking glass as a circle measuring tool
1. Use a drinking glass to trace a circle onto your felt and cut two.
2. Cut two little slits in the middle of one circle to slide your hair clip through.
3. Glue the two felt circles together, making sure to glue the hair clip down to the felt (in this case, the dark brown circle) while you’re at it.
4. Corral enough of one shade of feathers to cover the circle. You may need to clip off the bottoms of the feathers and just use the pretty tops so that the center doesn’t get too bulky. Carefully glue them down. (I offer this warning because hot glue can get unruly quickly and if you’re not careful, your fascinator can begin to look like it just woke up from a nap.)
5. Find another shade of feathers and repeat step four, this time cutting them a little shorter so they don’t completely cover your first layer of feathers.
6. Using pliers, remove the back of your clip-on earring or button so it can lie flat. Glue ‘er down.
7. Pop that feathered clip in your hair and take flight!
Pretty fancy, huh? Although I think the fanciest of all might be my glue gun, who it turns out, harbors secret dreams of becoming a guinea fowl too.
WANT MORE FREE PATTERNS?
Get exclusive free crochet patterns, DIY inspiration and project templates that'll knock your handmade socks off!