Happy February! Tis the season of weird chalky heart-shaped candy, overpriced roses and DIY Valentines!
If you are short on time or money this month, skip the fancy Godiva chocolates and make this DIY Valentine idea out of my favorite craft supply instead–popsicle sticks! (If you prefer your handmade Valentines from larger, rounder pieces of wood try these wood slice DIY Valentines.)
This projects is a great craft to make together with your kids because you can each personalize your Valentines to your little heart’s content. (Catch the double meaning there!?) If you make the popsicle stick hearts in advance, even young toddlers can have fun painting Valentines.
And since these geometric heart love bombs are already different than anything else your friend/lover/UPS driver/teacher/pet/co-worker will receive this year, you don’t have to do much to make them stand out. In fact, I reckon that some of these Valentine’s might hang around long past February 14 because they double as sweet little works of art.
You can use nearly anything in your craft stash to dress up these hearts. I had fun with embroidery floss, buttons, washi tape, paint, scrapbook paper and some gold floral wire.
I love how the wrapped wire and embroidery floss add more dimension to this already dimensional handmade Valentine.
You can add piece of scrapbook paper as a backing and completely change the look of your Valentine “card.” And since popsicle sticks are really easy to write on with a fine-point marker, you can still confess your love for your favorite person in writing.
I put together a little template to make your heart building even easier. It’s in the Make and Do Crew Subscriber Vault and you can receive immediate access to it when you subscribe in the pink and green box at the bottom of this post. (You’ll have access to all our past and future freebies as well!)
DIY POPSICLE STICK VALENTINES SUPPLIES
So you can spend more time being in love and less time shopping, this post contains affiliate links at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting M&DC!
• heart Valentine template (subscribe in the box above to gain instant access)
• regular sized popsicle sticks (4 per heart)
• mini popsicle sticks (12 per heart)
• tacky glue
• any of the following: gold floral wire, washi tape, embroidery thread, buttons, scrapbook paper, paint and pens
1. Download and print the heart template, if you plan to use it.
2. Arrange popsicle sticks as shown, alternating every other outer line of the template. Add glue to each stick. I find it fastest to add glue to both ends of 3-4 sticks at a time and then position them.
3. Add a second layer of sticks in the alternating positions.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 so that each “wall” of your heart is two sticks deep. Let the glue dry.
5. Now it’s time to accessorize! Add any paint, paper and bits and baubles that you’d like to personalize your Valentine.
6. Write a note on the the back if you wish and hand deliver your DIY Valentine to your favorite friend.
And I’m pinning up a storm of handmade Valentine’s Day goodness lately. Warning: Following this board might just turn you into a heart-eyed emoji.
WANT MORE FREE PATTERNS?
Get exclusive free crochet patterns, DIY inspiration and project templates that'll knock your handmade socks off!