Follow this C2C crochet pattern to crochet a pit bull or bulldog The free graph pattern can be downloaded below or you can purchase the ad-free PDF with line-by-line instructions here.
This bulldog crochet pattern is part of a collaboration with Lion Brand Yarns. This post contains affiliate links.
This corner-to-corner crochet pattern is perfect to crochet a pet portrait of your favorite pittie or bulldog. Make it the foundation of a C2C blanket, pillow or whatever you can come up with!
Keep reading for more yarn and customization details or scroll down for free pattern.
The Best in Show Dog Blanket
- This pit bull / bulldog pattern is part of the Best in Show Blanket. Find additional C2C crochet dog patterns as well as instructions on how to crochet the entire blanket here.
- If you'd like have all the dog graph patterns, plus written line-by-line C2C instructions all in one place, you can upgrade to the premium Best in Show Blanket PDF and get the complete download, including this French Bulldog pattern, immediately.
RELATED: Crochet a dog sweater with this easy pattern - in nine sizes!
Customizing your bulldog or pit bull
You can print the free graph pattern and color in different sections create markings similar to your own pup. But even if you keep the design as is, here are a few ways to personalize your crochet crochet bulldog or pit bull.
Want to add more bulldog variety to your corner-to-corner crochet project? Melissa from Lovable Loops designed six additional dog graphs that can be used alongside this C2C pattern. You can find Melissa's C2C crochet dog patterns here.
Yarn + substitutions
We used Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling yarn for this corner-to-corner pit bull. It's an acrylic, worsted weight yarn that wears really well even after a lot of machine washing. Basic Stitch tends to be our go-to for C2C patterns because it's available in a lot of colors at a reasonable price point.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If Basic Stitch is not available near you, you can check YarnSub.com for similar suggestions.
Print this pattern
You are free to download and print the C2C graph pattern and crochet directly from it.
You will likely find it much easier to also cross reference the graph with the line-by-line C2C instructions included in the premium PDF. Written graph instructions are incredibly helpful with this C2C crochet bulldog because they:
- Reduce the likelihood of mistakes that need to be torn out.
- Allow you to crochet much faster than if counting squares in a graph.
- Make it easier to set down your work and know right where to pick the pattern back up.
You can purchase the pit bull/bulldog premium PDF with the graph pattern and written instructions here.
If you're planning on crocheting more than one C2C dog design, purchasing the Best In Show Blanket premium PDF is the way to go. It includes the complete set of nine C2C dog graph patterns, the written instructions and all the tutorial photos.
C2C Crochet Pit Bull / Bulldog
• Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling Yarn (Weight: 4/medium - 185 yds, 3.5 oz)
- BP: Baby Pink (202/101F) - 4g - 1 skein
- BH: Beige Heather (202/410F) - 140g - 2 skeins
- B: Black (202/153) - 7g - 1 skein
- CH: Charcoal Heather (202/403J) - 70g - 1 skein
- HP: Hot Pink (202/195) - 7g - 1 skein
- SH: Silver Heather (202/404J) - 10g - 1 skein
- W: White (202/100) - 32g - 1 skein
• Size H (5.0 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
• Steamer or iron with steam function (alternative: use a spray bottle)
Finished dog block measures approximately: 18 X 18” when gauge is met
10 tiles = 6.25”
Each tile = approx. .6”
Abbreviations and Glossary
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc - half double crochet
rep – repeat
RS – right side
slst – slip stitch
sp – space
st(s) – stitch(es)
WS – wrong side
Permissions + Copyright:
Please do not publish or share this pattern as your own. You may make items to sell with this pattern. In exchange, please link back this post. Do NOT use our photos as your own sales photos.
Additional Corner-to-Corner Crochet Resources:
Help with learning corner-to-corner-crochet basics can be found here:
BOOK: Corner-To-Corner Crochet: 15 Modern Projects (I cover all the details you need to know to master C2C in this book!)
ALL THE BASICS: How to C2C Crochet and the skills you need to get started.
VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to increase and decrease to create a rectangle.
PHOTO TUTORIAL: How to change colors in C2C crochet.
How to Read Written Line-By-Line C2C Instructions (included in the PDF)
→ Row 21 [WS]: A11, (B Popcorn) x 6, A4
• Row # is always the same as the number of tiles in that row. (Row 21 = 21 total
• Arrow indicates direction of row when RS of blanket is facing up.
• Letter indicates which color of yarn to use. (See “Supplies” for abbreviations.)
• Number indicates how many tiles of each color to work. Therefore, for this
example, you’d work 11 tiles in Color A (typical C2C stitches) , 6 tiles in Color B
Overall Pattern Notes:
- IMPORTANT: To create an 18x18" square, this bulldog / pitbull graph should be worked in the diagonal box stitch (also called corner-to-corner crochet) using half double crochet C2C stitches.
- This means each tile begins with a chain 5, then a half double crochet is worked in the third chain from the hook and the next two chains. Similarly at the beginning of each tile (after the slip stitch), use two chains instead of the usual three you’d use with a double crochet C2C project.
Print the premium pattern!
Crocheting the Bulldog Pattern
- It can be very helpful to wind smaller balls of each color before beginning a graph. This allows you to keep a color attached when it will be used in the next row and avoid carrying contrasting colors underneath as you work.
- Each pixel in the graph corresponds with one tile in your afghan. A tile = 2 ch (the tch, which counts as a hdc) + 3 hdc
- While you may find it faster to work predominantly from the line-by-line
written instructions in the premium PDF, double checking your work against the
graph patterns periodically will help catch any mistakes sooner rather than
- While meeting the listed gauge is not essential, it will ensure finished square turns out 18X18". Instead of working a separate gauge swatch though, you can begin following the graph pattern and measure gauge about 12 rows in to make sure you’re on track. (If the finished size is unimportant to you, don't worry about the gauge.)
- Because of the nature of C2C crochet, certain tiles of different colors can
appear slightly separated when crocheted. While weaving in ends, you may choose to “tidy” up designs by visually joining disconnected tiles.
Want some company while you crochet?
Get support (and camaraderie!) in the Make & Do Crochet Crew Facebook Group.
Once you've completed your crochet pitbull, follow the finishing instructions in the Best in Show Blanket to learn how to block your square and add a border if you'd like.
More C2C Crochet Dog Patterns
Click the link below to go to the blog post and free pattern for the each dog.
- French Bulldog / Boston Terrier
- Golden Retriever / Labrador Retriever
- Border Collie / Australian Shepard
- Pit Bull / Bulldog
More Corner-to-Corner Crochet Patterns:
Here are a few C2C crochet patterns makers love and we think you will too!
Share your stitches!
Tag us (@MakeAndDoCrew) to show off your makes!