Follow this C2C crochet pattern to crochet a sprightly Chihuahua. The free graph pattern can be downloaded below or you can purchase the ad-free PDF with line-by-line instructions here.
This Chihuahua crochet pattern is part of a collaboration with Lion Brand Yarns. This post contains affiliate links.
This corner-to-corner crochet pattern is perfect to crochet a pet portrait of your favorite Chihuahua. Make it the foundation of a C2C blanket, pillow or whatever your little lap-dog lovin' heart desires!
Keep reading for more yarn and customization details or scroll down for free pattern.
The Best in Show Dog Blanket
- This Chihuahua pattern is one of nine dog breeds featured in the Best in Show Blanket. Find additional C2C crochet dog patterns as well as instructions on how to crochet the entire blanket here.
- If you'd like all the dog graph patterns, plus written line-by-line C2C instructions all in one place, you can upgrade to the premium Best in Show Blanket PDF and get the complete download, including this Chihuahua pattern, immediately.
Because there are points you'll have several colors attached at once, this C2C Chihuahua pattern is an intermediate level corner-to-corner project.
Winding small balls of each color allows you to keep yarn attached without cutting while changing colors.
If you have scrap yarn to use up, it can work well for some of the accent colors.
Customizing your Chihuahua
Print the free C2C graph pattern and color in different sections to modify the graph to look more like your favorite pup. Even if you keep the design as is, here are a few ways to personalize your crochet Chihuahua.
Want to add more Chihuahua variety to your corner-to-corner crochet project? Melissa from Lovable Loops designed six additional dog graphs that can be used alongside this C2C pattern. You can find Melissa's C2C crochet dog patterns here.
Related: 33+ Crochet Edgings for Blankets
Yarn + substitutions
For this C2C Chihuahua pattern, we used Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling yarn. It's an acrylic, worsted weight yarn that looks good even after a lot of use. Basic Stitch is one of our faves for C2C patterns because it's available in a lot of colors at a reasonable price point.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If you can't get your hands on Basic Stitch, you can check YarnSub.com for similar suggestions.
Print this pattern
You can download and print the free C2C graph pattern and crochet directly from it.
You will likely find it much easier to also cross reference the graph with the line-by-line C2C instructions included in the premium PDF. Written graph instructions will help you crochet this Chihuahua more easily because they:
- Allow you to crochet much faster than if counting squares in a graph.
- Reduce the likelihood of mistakes that need to be torn out.
- Make it easier to set down your work and know right where to pick the pattern back up.
RELATED: Keep your real life pups cozy with this crochet dog sweater pattern
You can purchase the Chihuahua premium PDF with the graph pattern and written instructions here.
If you're planning on crocheting more than one C2C dog design, purchasing the Best In Show Blanket premium PDF is the way to go. It includes the complete set of nine C2C dog graph patterns, the written instructions and all the tutorial photos (delivered digitally).
Additional Corner-to-Corner Crochet Resources:
Help with learning corner-to-corner-crochet basics can be found here:
BOOK: Corner-To-Corner Crochet: 15 Modern Projects (I cover all the details you need to know to master C2C in this book!)
ALL THE BASICS: Intro to C2C and the skills you need to get started.
VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to increase and decrease to create a rectangle.
PHOTO TUTORIAL: How to change colors in C2C crochet.
C2C Crochet Chihuahua
This corner-to-corner crochet pattern is perfect to crochet a pet portrait of your favorite Chihuahua.
• Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling Yarn (Weight: 4/medium - 185 yds, 3.5 oz)
- A: Almond (202/121L) - 25g
- 1 skein
- BP: Baby Pink (202/101F) - 7g
- 1 skein
- BH: Beige Heather (202/410F) - 120g
- 2 skeins
- B: Black (202/153) - 10g
- 1 skein
- CW: Cedarwood (202/123AS) - 80g
- 1 skein
- CH: Charcoal Heather (202/403J) - 5g
- 1 skein
- MHG: Mahogany (202/126AL) - 5g
- 1 skein
- W: White (202/100) - 20g
- 1 skein
• Printed graph pattern (download here)
• Tapestry needle Size H (5.0 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
• Steamer or iron with steam function (alternative: use a spray bottle)
• Blocking board
Finished dog block measures approximately: 18 X 18” when gauge is met
10 tiles = 6.25”
Each tile = approx. .6”
IMPORTANT: The Chihuahua pictured is worked in the diagonal box stitch (also called corner-to-corner crochet) using half double crochet C2C stitches. Therefore each tile begins with a chain 5, then a half double crochet is worked in the third chain from the hook and the next two chains. Similarly at the beginning of each tile (after the slip stitch), use two chains instead of the usual three you’d use with a double crochet C2C project.
Permissions + Copyright:
Please do not publish or share this pattern as your own. You may make items to sell with this pattern. In exchange, please link back this post. Do NOT use our photos as your own sales photos.
How to Read Written Line-By-Line C2C Instructions (included in the PDF)
→ Row 21 [WS]: A11, (B Popcorn) x 6, A4
• Row # is always the same as the number of tiles in that row. (Row 21 = 21 total
• Arrow indicates direction of row when RS of blanket is facing up.
• Letter indicates which color of yarn to use. (See “Supplies” for abbreviations.)
• Number indicates how many tiles of each color to work. Therefore, for this
example, you’d work 11 tiles in Color A (typical C2C stitches) , 6 tiles in Color B
Print the premium pattern!
Crocheting the Chihuahua Pattern
- All tiles are worked in corner to corner (C2C) half double crochet stitches as described in the Glossary above.
- Each pixel in the graph corresponds with one tile in your afghan. A tile = 2 ch (the tch, which counts as a hdc) + 3 hdc
- While you may find it faster to work predominantly from the line-by-line
written instructions in the premium PDF, double checking your work against the graph patterns periodically will help catch any mistakes sooner rather than
- Consider winding smaller balls of each color before beginning a graph. This allows you to keep a color attached when it will be used in the next row and avoid carrying contrasting colors underneath as you work.
- Because of the nature of C2C crochet, certain tiles of different colors can
appear slightly separated when crocheted. While weaving in ends, you may choose to “tidy” up designs by visually joining disconnected tiles.
Want some company while you crochet?
Get support (and camaraderie!) in the Make & Do Crochet Crew Facebook Group.
Once you've completed your crochet Chihuahua, follow the finishing instructions in the Best in Show Blanket to learn how to block your square and add a border if you'd like.
More C2C Crochet Dog Patterns
Click the link below to go to the blog post and free pattern for the each dog.
- French Bulldog / Boston Terrier
- Golden Retriever / Labrador Retriever
- Border Collie / Australian Shepard
- Pit Bull / Bulldog
More Corner-to-Corner Crochet Patterns:
Here are a few C2C crochet patterns makers love and we think you will too!
Share your stitches!
Tag us (@MakeAndDoCrew) to show off your makes!