Follow this free C2C crochet Havanese (or Yorkie!) pattern to crochet blanket or pillow. The free graph pattern can be downloaded below or you can purchase the ad-free PDF with line-by-line instructions here.
This Havanese crochet pattern is part of a collaboration with Lion Brand Yarns. This post contains affiliate links.
This corner-to-corner crochet pattern is perfect to crochet a pet portrait of your favorite Havenese, Yorkie or Terrier mutt. Make it the foundation of a C2C blanket, pillow or any other crochet creations you come up with!
Keep reading for more yarn and customization details or scroll down for free pattern.
Breeds you can crochet with this pattern
The Best in Show Dog Blanket
- This Havanese pattern is part of the Best in Show Blanket. Find additional C2C crochet dog patterns as well as instructions on how to crochet the entire blanket here.
- If you'd like have all the dog graph patterns, plus written line-by-line C2C instructions all in one place, you can upgrade to the premium Best in Show Blanket PDF and get the complete download, including this French Bulldog pattern, immediately.
RELATED: How to crochet a dog sweater - for any size dog!
This C2C graph pattern is a great starting point to crochet any long-haired lap dog you have in mind.
For a curlier hair look, try using C2C popcorn stitches as outlined in the Doodle pattern.
Use tweed, speckled or variegated yarn to easily mimic the color patterns of a multi-colored terrier.
Customizing your Bichon Dog
You can print the graph pattern and color in different sections to modify the graph to look more like your favorite Havanese, Bichon or long-haired terrier. But even if you keep the design as is, here are a few ways to personalize it:
ADD MORE VARIETY: Melissa from Lovable Loops designed six additional dog graphs that can be used alongside this lap dog pattern. You can find Melissa's C2C crochet dog patterns here.
Related: Crochet Borders and Edgings for Every Blanket
Yarn + substitutions
We used Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling yarn for this corner-to-corner Havanese. It's available in a lot of nice neutrals, making it perfect for finding the right dog fur color. See all the colors of Basic Stitch here.
You can also try other worsted weight acrylic yarns to achieve the exact look you want. Try some of the speckled and variegated shades Lion Brand Heartland or Lion Brand Vanna's Choice to create fur with more color variation.
SUBSTITUTIONS: If you can't find Basic Stitch near you, you can check YarnSub.com for similar suggestions.
RELATED: How to Shop Your Stash: The Best Patterns for Using the Yarn You Have
Print this pattern
You can download and print the free C2C graph pattern and crochet directly from it.
You will likely find it much easier to also cross reference the graph with the line-by-line C2C instructions included in the premium PDF. Written graph instructions are incredibly helpful with this C2C crochet Havanese because they:
- Reduce the likelihood of mistakes that need to be torn out.
- Allow you to crochet much faster than if only counting squares in a graph.
- Make it easier to set down your work and know right where to pick the pattern back up.
Great free option.
- C2C dog pattern graph only.
- Cross off each graph row as you crochet.
Easier, faster with fewer mistakes.
- Includes line-by-line written instructions for each graph row.
- Saves time and mistakes.
- Graph pattern included as well.
If you're planning on crocheting more than one C2C dog design, purchasing the Best In Show Blanket premium PDF is the way to go. It includes the complete set of nine C2C dog graph patterns, the written instructions and all the tutorial photos.
C2C Crochet Havanese
Use this free C2C crochet graph pattern to crochet a portrait of your favorite Havanese, Yorkie or Terrier mix.
• Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti-Pilling Yarn (Weight: 4/medium - 185 yds, 3.5 oz)
- BH: Beige Heather (202/410F) - 90g
- 1 skein
- B: Black (202/153) - 6g
- 1 skein
- CH: Charcoal Heather (202/403J) - 6g
- 1 skein
- HP: Hot Pink (202/195) - 2g
- 1 skein
- RB: Royal Blue (205/109P) - 2 g
- 1 skein
- SH: Silver Heather (202/404J) - 40g
- 1 skein
- W: White (202/100) - 125g
- 2 skeins
- ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES:
- Printed graph pattern (download here)
- Tapestry needle
- Size H (5.0 mm) crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
- Steamer or iron with steam function (alternative: use a spray bottle)
- Blocking board
Finished dog block measures approximately: 18 X 18” when gauge is met
10 tiles = 6.25”
Each tile = approx. .6”
Abbreviations and Glossary
ch – chain
dc – double crochet
hdc - half double crochet
rep – repeat
RS – right side
slst – slip stitch
sp – space
st(s) – stitch(es)
WS – wrong side
Permissions + Copyright:
Please do not publish or share this pattern as your own. You may make items to sell with this pattern. In exchange, please link back this post. Do NOT use our photos as your own sales photos.
Additional Corner-to-Corner Crochet Resources:
Help with learning corner-to-corner-crochet basics can be found here:
BOOK: Corner-To-Corner Crochet: 15 Modern Projects (I cover all the details you need to know to master C2C in this book!)
ALL THE BASICS: Intro to C2C and the skills you need to get started.
VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to increase and decrease to create a rectangle.
PHOTO TUTORIAL: How to change colors in C2C crochet.
How to Read Written Line-By-Line C2C Instructions (included in the PDF)
→ Row 21 [WS]: A11, (B Popcorn) x 6, A4
• Row # is always the same as the number of tiles in that row. (Row 21 = 21 total
• Arrow indicates direction of row when RS of blanket is facing up.
• Letter indicates which color of yarn to use. (See “Supplies” for abbreviations.)
• Number indicates how many tiles of each color to work. Therefore, for this
example, you’d work 11 tiles in Color A (typical C2C stitches) , 6 tiles in Color B
Overall Pattern Notes:
- IMPORTANT: All dog graphs are worked in the diagonal box stitch (also called corner-to-corner crochet) using half double crochet C2C stitches.
- This means each tile begins with a chain 5, then a half double crochet is worked in the third chain from the hook and the next two chains. Similarly at the beginning of each tile (after the slip stitch), use two chains instead of the usual three you’d use with a double crochet C2C project.
Print the premium pattern!
Crocheting the Havanese / Terrier Block
- All tiles are worked in corner to corner (C2C) half double crochet stitches as described in the Glossary above.
- It can be very helpful to wind smaller balls of each color before beginning a graph. This allows you to keep a color attached when it will be used in the next row and avoid carrying contrasting colors underneath as you work.
- Each pixel in the graph corresponds with one tile in your afghan. A tile = 2 ch (the tch, which counts as a hdc) + 3 hdc
- While you may find it faster to work predominantly from the line-by-line
written instructions in the premium PDF, double checking your work against the graph patterns periodically will help catch any mistakes sooner rather than
- While meeting the listed gauge is not essential, it will ensure finished square turns out 18X18". Instead of working a separate gauge swatch though, you can begin following the graph pattern and measure gauge about 12 rows in to make sure you’re on track. (If the finished size is unimportant to you, don't worry about the gauge.)
- Because of the nature of C2C crochet, certain tiles of different colors can
appear slightly separated when crocheted. While weaving in ends, you may choose to “tidy” up designs by visually joining disconnected tiles.
Want some company while you crochet?
Get support (and camaraderie!) in the Make & Do Crochet Crew Facebook Group.
Once you've completed your crochet Yorkie or Havanese, follow the finishing instructions in the Best in Show Blanket to learn how to block your square and add a border if you'd like.
More C2C Crochet Dog Patterns
Click the link below to go to the blog post and free pattern for the each dog.
- French Bulldog / Boston Terrier
- Golden Retriever / Labrador Retriever
- Border Collie / Australian Shepard
- Pit Bull / Bulldog
More Corner-to-Corner Crochet Patterns:
Here are a few C2C crochet patterns makers love and we think you will too!
Share your stitches!
Tag us (@MakeAndDoCrew) to show off your makes!
How long does access to the FB group usually take? I submitted 3 days ago….
Jess Coppom says
We usually do approvals about 2x a week. Have you gotten in now?
Thanks for your patience!