Think of this cozy crochet shawl like a fashionable blanket you can wrap up with in public! Get the free pattern below.
Thanks to Lion Brand Yarns for providing the yarn for this free crochet triangle shawl pattern. This post contains affiliate links.
Welcome back to the Make & Do Crew guest designer series. While I'm getting to know the newest baby in our family, Michele from Stitch And Hustle is sharing her free crochet triangle shawl pattern with us today! You can see lots of of Michele's crochet patterns her blog, Stitch And Hustle. And be sure to check her out on social media too: Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook. Michele, take it away!
The Inspiration For My Crochet Triangle Shawl
I was so excited when Jess invited me to do a guest pattern on the blog. We immediately agreed it would be a crochet version of my recently released and super popular Burlington Knit Ruana.
I made just a few tweaks and changes in the design so that it can double as a supersized wrap as well. You know - one of those amazing "all you need in one" accessories for Winter that works up super fast too!
Skills Needed To Crochet This Cozy Wrap
This is a great pattern for advanced beginners who want to try to expand their stitch arsenal. I used a quadruple treble - WOW that is a mouthful. It is a very cool twist on the treble crochet that adds length to the stitch.
In designing this wrap, I wanted it to be more than a standard sized wrap but went for that cozy oversized blanket feel. I also didn’t add the fringe as I did on the Burlington Knit version, this is a great wrap or shawl for colder days. I snuggled up with it already on one cool evening.
Cozy Yarn for a Cozy Crochet Swawl
I used Lion Brand Color Made Easy for this, just as I used in the Burlington Knit Ruana. I changed up the colors a bit so this is a sister design but not a twin. This yarn is great because it is a category 5 (which is hard enough to find) but works up like a charm without too much bulk.
More Free Crochet Scarves + Shawls Patterns
Whether you adore c2c crochet scarves, Tunisian crochet shawls or gorgeous lace scarves, we've got you covered. Many of these patterns make quick gifts to crochet and great gift ideas for Mother's Day.
See more free crochet scarves + shawls patterns →
Bedford Shawl Free Crochet Pattern
Pin this pattern for later here.
The Bedford Ruana is more than your every day Ruana – it is a piece of cozy like a blanket you can wear in public. The best part – it looks great on both sides! If you are an adventurous beginner or an experienced crocheter you will love this pattern. The Bedford Ruana uses fun stitches and creates a fabulous drape and texture.
• Lion Brand Color Made Easy (weight: 5/bulky - 247 yards, 7 oz)
- Color A: Shade (#195-149) - 4 balls
- Color B: Basalt (#195-150) - 1 ball
- Color C: Coal (#195-152) - 1 ball
• Size L (8 mm) crochet hook
• Tapestry needle
• Finished Measurements:
- Width across top edge: 76”
- Approx Triangle: 76” x 60” x 60”
- Depth in center: 42” Approx
• 4” sq = 8 stitches x 6 rows in rows 2, 3 alternating. Ch 1 at start of each row is NOT a st. Just a turning chain. You will be increasing by 2 sts each row
Abbreviations and Glossary (US Terms):
Ch – chain
Sc – single crochet
Scbl – single crochet back loop only
scfl – single crochet front loop only
Hdc – half double crochet
Tr – treble crochet
qtr – Qhadruple Treble Stitch
st(s) – stitch(es)
inc’d - increased
Overall Pattern Notes
• Shown on model 5’1” with 3” heels.
• You can take rows out in the center portion for a shorter piece that will wear more as a shawl.
• This is the sister to the Burlington Ruana knitting pattern.
BEGIN WITH MAGIC CIRCLE WITH MAIN COLOR A:
Row 1: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), 3 hdc into magic circle, TURN. / 3 sts
Row 2: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x hdc], hdc, [2x hdc], TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 5 sts
Row 3: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x scbl], scbl to last st, [2x scbl] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 7 sts
Rows 4– 10: Repeat Rows 2, 3 alternating, ending on a Row 2 / 21 sts after Row 10
Row 11: Repeat Row 3 / ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 23 sts
Row 12: Ch 3 (acts as first tr), tr in same, tr across to last st, [2x tr] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 25 sts
Row 13: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x sc], sc to last st, [2x sc] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 27 st
Rows 14– 15: Repeat Rows 2, 3 ** 4 sts inc’d / 31 sts after Row 15
Row 16: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x sc], sc to last st, [2x sc] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 33 st
Row 17: Ch 4 (acts as first qtr), qtr in same, qtr across to last st, [2x qtr] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 35 sts
Row 18: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x sc], sc to last st, [2x sc] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 37 st
Row 19: Repeat Row 2 ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 39 st
Row 20: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x scfl], scfl to last st, [2x scfl] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 41 sts
Rows 21- 23: Repeat Rows 11 - 13. / 47 sts after Row 23
STRIPING SECTION COMPLETE.
Row 24: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x sc], sc to last st, [2x sc] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 49 sts
Rows 25-40: Repeat Rows 2,3 alternating, ending on a Row 3 / 81 sts after Row 40
Rows 41 - 53: REPEAT STRIPING SECTION (Rows 11-23). / 107 sts after Row 53
Row 54: ch 1 (does NOT act as a st), [2x sc], sc to last st, [2x sc] in last st, TURN ** inc’d. by 2 sts / 109 sts
Rows 56-57: Repeat Rows 2, 3 / 113 sts at end
OPTIONAL AND NOT SHOWN - FRINGE:
USING COLOR A (or any color of your choice)
Cut 12” strands and pair them in sets of 2 strands each set.
Starting at top edge, using Larks Head Knot, attach one set per row through side ON HDC ROWS ONLY and twice on tr and qtr rows.
Repeat on other side.
Trim ends of fringe to be even.
Weave in all other ends.
Thanks again to Michele of StitchAndHustle.com for sharing this free crochet triangle shawl pattern! Be sure to check out Michele's blog for lots more free modern crochet patterns!
That was so fun! Now what?
Invitation to our Facebook group
Come discuss crocheting chunky shawl patterns and lots of other crochet projects and techniques in our Make & Do Crew Facebook group. Here thousands of helpful crocheters answer each others questions and share their stitches. Come join us here.
More Free Scarves + Shawls Crochet Patterns
- Tunisian Crochet Neck Warmer Pattern
- Crochet Puff Stitch Shawl Pattern
- Boho Triangle Scarf Crochet Pattern
- Crochet Infinity Scarf Pattern
- Beginner Finger Knit Pattern + Video Tutorial
- Easy Crochet Shawl Tutorial
- Asymmetrical Shawl Crochet Pattern
- Mandala Triangle Scarf Pattern
More Free Modern Cozy Crochet Patterns
If you’re interested in more free patterns in preparation for staying cozy as the seasons change, check out these free crochet sweater and cardigan patterns. Many of them are beginner-friendly and include video tutorials!
1. Habitat Cardigan - No one will guess you created this figure-flattering cardigan from a simple rectangle. Made with extremely soft yarn for a cozy-but-not-too-bulky look, you’ll find yourself reaching for this beginner crochet sweater over and over again. Sizes S-3X. Includes video tutorial!
2. Dwell Chunky Crochet Sweater - Creatively constructed from a simple rectangle, this flattering chunky crochet sweater comes together easily with zero shaping, increasing or decreasing. Video tutorial included!
3. Up North Cardigan - This easy, cotton crochet cardigan pattern for beginners uses a very simple construction to create a show-stopping look with entry level skills. Video tutorial included! Sizes S-3X.
4. Brunch Hexagon Crochet Sweater - This incredibly comfortable crochet cardigan sweater is simpler than it looks. Made from two basic hexagons, you’ll love watching your new favorite cardigan take shape!
Leave a Reply