On the hunt for the perfect gift idea? This collection of crochet gifts will have you stitching instead of shopping for your next occasion. From hats to blankets to stuffed animals, these creative ideas will help you become a handmade gift-giving guru.
This collection of gifts you can crochet contains affiliate links.
Why Crochet Gifts Instead of Buying
If gifts aren't your love language, you might struggle when it comes to finding the perfect present for a special occasion. Instead of settling for giving a gift card, you can create thoughtful and unique gifts with just a hook and yarn.
Crochet gift patterns are perfect for celebrating:
- Christmas or Hanukkah
- Baby showers
- Mother's Day
- Father's Day
- Valentine's Day
- Housewarming parties
- Wedding and anniversary celebrations
And if the person you're celebrating loves yarn crafts themselves, check out these gifts for crocheters and knitters.
Handmade Gifts for Sad Times
While crocheted items are a fantastic way to celebrate, they can be particularly meaningful when someone is going through a difficult season. Don’t underestimate the power of a DIY gift after the death of a loved one, during cancer treatment, or following a miscarriage.
Shawls and blankets tend to be a wonderful way to show your love during challenging times.
You probably already have most of the supplies needed for the crochet gift ideas below. Double-check that you've got these items on hand:
- Giftable crochet pattern - browse the collection below to find a perfect idea
- Crochet hooks - whatever pattern you choose will tell you what size hook you'll need. Don’t be afraid to change your hook size to meet the pattern gauge.
- Yarn - more on selecting a fiber type below
- Accessories - before you get started, read through the pattern to see if it calls for buttons, beads, stuffing, or safety eyes (if it's an amigurumi toy)
The Best Yarn for Gifts
Choosing yarn for a crochet gift can have some different requirements than making something for yourself. Here are some things to consider.
Fiber Content + Allergies
Some people have allergies to certain yarns, most often to animal fibers like wool and alpaca. If you’re making a wearable gift, it’s best to check with the recipient about any fibers they cannot wear. (Trust me, I learned this one the hard way with a crochet cowl for a friend!)
Some fiber types that are generally well tolerated by almost everyone include:
- Cotton yarn like Comfy Cotton Blend or 24/7 Cotton
- Acrylic yarn like Heartland or Color Theory
- Bamboo yarn like Coboo or Truboo
When you’re taking the time to crochet a present, it makes sense to invest in the best quality supplies you can comfortably afford. This isn’t the time to make an incredible lace scarf with scratchy-feeling yarn.
That said, my personal philosophy is to only invest in high-end yarn for gifts for other crocheters and knitters. I feel like those are the people who will really appreciate the quality and time investment. Of course, you can make your own choices on a gift-by-gift basis.
Washability + Care Instructions
When gifting a crochet item, it’s best to think about how easy it will be to care for. Aim for machine-washable yarns when possible. And I like to attach a little tag with care instructions so that the recipient knows exactly how to launder their gift.
Crochet Gift Ideas
Whether it's for a family member, a coworker, or friends, these modern crochet gifts will be sure to please. Because who really wants to receive another coffee mug or bar of soap?
Last Minute Crochet Gifts
Need a fast way to say thank you to a teacher, coach, or neighbor? I got you covered.
The free patterns below can be made in just a few hours, so you won't have to show up empty-handed.
See more fast crochet patterns →
3 Hour Chunky Crochet Mittens
1.5 Hour Easy Hat Pattern
Done in a Weekend Baby Blanket
4.5 Hour Fast Crochet Blanket
Slipper Socks For Adults
Chunky Infinity Scarf
One Day Crochet Blanket Pattern
Quick Manchester Cowl
Crochet Gifts for Friends
Need a Valentine's (or galenetine's!), birthday or Christmas gift for your mom, grandma, sister or friend? These patterns say, "I love you!" in a modern and gracious way.
Scrappy Bucket Hat for Kids + Adults
Women's Slippers with Leather Bottoms
Beginner Sweater Pattern with Plus Sizes
Piece of Cake Cowl
Boho Circle Purse Pattern
Pocket Shawl with Button Front
Lightweight Slippers with Flip Flops Soles
Granny Square Sling Bag
One Skein Caron Cakes Triangle Scarf
Christmas Crochet Gifts
Whether you're a Secret Santa or elf-ing for yourself, here are a few homemade gift ideas that make the best Christmas presents.
Santa's Helper Elf Hat
C2C Crochet Santa Graphgan
Nordic Christmas Stocking
Gifts For Men
Here are some fantastic crochet gift ideas for men. Whether it's for your dad, brother, husband, or boyfriend, he'll love the gift of stylish stitches.
See more Father's Day crochet patterns →
Modern C2C Crochet Deer Afghan
Men's Slippers with Leather Soles
DIY Leather + Crochet Coasters
Our Latest Crochet Inspiration:
Here are a few more free crochet patterns and tutorials that are hot off the presses.
Easy Baby Hat for Beginners
Bunny Stuffed Animal Made From a Rectangle
Cuddly Koala Lovey
Aspen Socialite Headband
Very Easy Crochet Hat for Kids
Wide Brim Sun Hat for Kids
Modern Baby Bonnet with Ties
Useful Things to Crochet
Here are some functional and practical crochet gifts for even the hardest person to shop for.
Expandable Produce Bag
Quick + Easy Basket Pattern
Sun Hat Pattern for Women + Men
Handmade Dried Lavender Sachets
Modern Clothesline Trivet
Rustic Basket Made With Dollar Store Twine
Crochet Bean Bag Pattern
Presents for Dogs + Dog Lovers
We couldn't leave dogs off the list! Here are our favorite crochet things for furry friends and the people who love them.
Easy Dog Sweater in Nine Sizes
Best In Show C2C Crochet Dog Blanket
Still Stuck? More Gift Ideas
Still struggling for the perfect DIY present? Here are some general ideas and who they could be made for.
- Gifts for book lovers - make a personalized bookmark or a cozy blanket to snuggle under while reading.
- Simple wearable accessories – Fingerless gloves, boot cuffs, or a four-season scarf are quick, neutral gifts that work well if you are unsure of the recipient's style.
- Crochet garments - if you really want to give a thoughtful and useful gift, crochet sweaters and cardigans can be like a personal handmade hug.
- Baby gift ideas - amigurumi stuffed animals or adorable baby blankets are perfect crochet gift ideas for little ones.
- Small gifts - crochet a houseplant, hot pad or a set of washcloths when you need a quick hostess gift.
Creative Gift Wrap Suggestions
Once you knock a few of these puppies off your to-do list, you'll want the wrapping to be just as special as what's inside.
Check out these inexpensive, snazzy wrapping ideas using dollar-store supplies! And when the holidays are over, you can use this idea for vertical wrapping paper storage to rein in those unruly tubes.
Obsessed with finding the best free crochet patterns?
Check out these collections of handpicked patterns to find your next project.
Crochet Gift Idea FAQs
Almost anything can be turned into a crochet gift. Blankets, sweaters, hats, towels, dishcloths, baskets, and mittens are all great gift ideas. As long as you think the person would love it and use it, any crochet project will work!
When choosing a gift to make, think about what the person enjoys or may need. Did they just move into a new home and need some storage baskets or cozy slippers Maybe they've commented on your gorgeous handmade sweaters and would love one for themselves. The best gifts to crochet are useful and beautiful!
When crocheting for a friend, consider what interests they have. They might love a pair of slippers with flip-flop soles, a stylish sweater, or a scarf they can wear year-round. Home decor items like throw blankets, pillows, or crochet baskets also make great gift ideas for friends.
More Free Patterns + Tutorials
Can't get enough free crochet patterns!? Me either. You'll definitely want to breeze through these collections to find your next project.
- 55+ Free Crochet Sweater and Cardigan Patterns - our most popular garments
- 40+ Free Crochet Blanket Patterns - baby blankets, throws + c2c graphgans
- 36+ Granny Square Patterns + tips for the perfect square
- 30+ Crochet Animal Patterns - adorable amigurumi stuffed animals
- Crochet Gift Ideas - easy patterns to make for others
- Fast Crochet Projects - start to finish in less than a day
Learn a New Skill
And when you're ready to master a new skill, check out our detailed guides that include everything you need to know to level up your crochet game.
- How to Corner to Corner (C2C) Crochet for Beginners - with video tutorials to get you started
- How to Crochet a Beginner Hat - make an entire beanie in 1.5 hours!
- How to Crochet Amigurumi for Beginners - the ultimate guide to making your own toys and plushies
- How to Tunisian Crochet - learn with this video and a standard hook
That was so fun! Now what?
Invitation to our Facebook group
Come discuss what to crochet as gifts and lots of other projects and techniques in our Make & Do Crew Facebook group. Here thousands of helpful crocheters answer each other's questions and share their stitches. Join us!