In this crochet poncho video tutorial, we'll learn how to make the free Alpine Poncho pattern. This video is very beginner-friendly and covers all the techniques you'll need step-by-step. Follow along with the written free Alpine Poncho pattern or purchase the ad-free, printable PDF with stitch charts.
This crochet poncho video tutorial is part of a collaboration with Lion Brand Yarn. This post contains affiliate links.
When I asked on Instagram recently if you'd like to see a video tutorial for the Alpine Crochet Poncho, there was a lot of "YAAAASS!" responses, so here we are! (Are we Instagram buddies yet? If not, come say hello and follow along here!)
Read on for more details about this pattern and crochet poncho video tutorial or scroll down to dive into the lesson.
Crochet Poncho Video Tutorial For Beginners
As I mentioned in the Alpine Poncho pattern, I really wanted this project to be approachable for beginners who are ready to move beyond scarves and blankets. Because this crochet poncho pattern is made from five basic rectangles, it's truly is as simple as making a bunch of scarves and wrapping them around your body in a fashionable way. Ha, sounds easy, right?!
In this video tutorial, I cover each step of how to crochet this poncho sweater, including how to make the main rectangles, how to crochet the sleeves and collar using half double crochet through the back loop only, and lastly, how to easily seam it all together.
This is one of those projects that feels way fancier than the sum of its parts, so I hope you love it as much as my mom and I do. (My mom helped design it and crochet the sample you see here!)
Grab the Alpine Poncho Crochet Kit
It's always exciting when Lion Brand chooses to offer one of my patterns as a kit on their site so I'm happy to share that you can now order an Alpine Poncho kit, which includes all the yarn you'll need and a black and white printed copy of the pattern (including the stitch charts!)
You can order your kit here!
Related: 30+ Free Poncho Patterns to Crochet
More Free Crochet Sweater Patterns
Crochet sweater patterns don't need to be difficult. In fact, most of ours are made with very simple shapes. Dive into the wonderful world of crochet garments with cardigans, pullovers, ponchos, shrugs and more!
See more free crochet sweater patterns →
Alpine Crochet Poncho Video Tutorial
Below, you'll find the full step-by-step video tutorial. NOTE: Video is not viewable when an ad-blocker is installed on your browser. Turn of ad-blocker and reload page if video isn't appearing.
Links Mentioned in the Video
Free Written Pattern: Alpine Crochet Poncho
Printable PDF: Alpine Crochet Poncho PDF with stitch charts (Really helpful for visual learners!)
Crochet Kit: Order all the yarn you'll need + a printed copy of the pattern in this handy kit from Lion Brand
That was so fun! Now what?
Invitation to our Facebook group
Come discuss crocheting beginner poncho patterns and lots of other crochet projects and techniques in our Make & Do Crew Facebook group. Here thousands of helpful crocheters answer each others questions and share their stitches. Come join us here.
Find Your Next Sweater Project
- Hexagon Layering Cardigan - with bishop sleeves
- Granny Square Cardigan - modern take on a classic motif
- Seamless Crochet Poncho - a great first garment for beginners
- Basic V-Neck Pattern - classic styling
- High Low Jumper Pattern - finish in one weekend
- Rectangle Crochet Poncho - made from two simple pieces
- Oversized Cardi - with fur collar
- Sherpa Fleece Sweater Jacket - extremely cozy cardi
More Free Patterns + Tutorials
Can't get enough free crochet patterns!? Me either. You'll definitely want to breeze through these collections to find your next project.
- 55+ Free Crochet Sweater and Cardigan Patterns - our most popular garments
- 40+ Free Crochet Blanket Patterns - baby blankets, throws + c2c graphgans
- 36+ Granny Square Patterns + tips for the perfect square
- 30+ Crochet Animal Patterns - adorable amigurumi stuffed animals
- Crochet Gift Ideas - easy patterns to make for others
- Fast Crochet Projects - start to finish in less than a day
Learn a New Skill
And when you're ready to master a new skill, check out our detailed guides that include everything you need to know to level up your crochet game.
- How to Corner to Corner (C2C) Crochet for Beginners - with video tutorials to get you started
- How to Crochet a Beginner Hat - make an entire beanie in 1.5 hours!
- How to Crochet Amigurumi for Beginners - the ultimate guide to making your own toys and plushies
- How to Tunisian Crochet - learn with this video and a standard hook
More Free Crochet Poncho Patterns
If crochet ponchos are your thing, here are more free patterns you might enjoy! You can always peruse our collection of free crochet patterns here too.
1. Braided Poncho - free knit-look crochet poncho pattern with stitch video tutorial
2. Saratoga Poncho Top - free crochet summer poncho top pattern
2. Greyscale Poncho - free crochet poncho pattern with a cozy pocket