Learn how to crochet a sweater step-by-step in the Dwell Sweater video tutorial. This is a fantastic beginner sweater pattern because there is no shaping, increasing or decreasing. Scroll to the bottom of the post for the video tutorial and get the complete free Dwell Sweater written pattern here.
It's been so fun to see so many of you making the new Dwell Sweater! It sounds like a lot of us have wondered how to crochet a sweater, but always thought it was too difficult, time consuming and overwhelming to tackle. (This was definitely me until about seven months ago.)
Well, if that describes you, this video tutorial has your name all over it! The Dwell Sweater is based on extremely simple construction, yet it comes together to create a quite cozy and stylish end result. The chunkier Lion Brand Wool-Ease Tonal yarn makes the entire sweater work up surprisingly quickly (I made mine in less than a week and I wasn't even crocheting like a maniac!), while still maintaining a beautiful and comfortable drape.
In this video tutorial, I show you each step of the process of crocheting the Dwell Sweater, including how to crochet the initial rectangle using the zeros and crosses stitch, how to seam the rectangle into a shrug, and then how to add the collar, sleeve cuffs and (best of all!) pockets.
You will definitely want to reference the free written pattern while working from the video because you'll need to know specific stitch and row counts for the size you're making.
RELATED: Don't leave out your furry friends - easy crochet dog sweater pattern for large dogs (and small dogs too!)
More Free Crochet Sweater Patterns
Crochet sweater patterns don't need to be difficult. In fact, most of ours are made with very simple shapes. Dive into the wonderful world of crochet garments with cardigans, pullovers, ponchos, shrugs and more!
See more free crochet sweater patterns →
The Dwell Sweater Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
You can find the free Dwell Sweater pattern (sizes S-3 XL) here.
Add this pattern to your Ravelry favorites here.
Pin it for later here.
UPDATE: Lion Brand has turned this pattern into a kit that includes all the yarn you'll need plus a black and white copy of the pattern. I think this is such a fun gift to give yourself! Grab yours here.)
That was so fun! Now what?
Invitation to our Facebook group
Come discuss crocheting dwell sweater patterns and lots of other crochet projects and techniques in our Make & Do Crew Facebook group. Here thousands of helpful crocheters answer each others questions and share their stitches. Come join us here.
Find Your Next Sweater Project
- Simple Everyday Cardigan - using the easy V-stitch
- Lightweight Jacket Pattern - seamless + beginner-friendly
- V-Neck Sweater -simple, easy striped design
- Crochet Wrap Sweater Pattern - unique take on a raglan
- Beginner Raglan Sweater Pattern - ideal first top down pattern
- Lightweight Mesh Top - doubles as a beach coverup
- Hexagon Layering Cardigan - with bishop sleeves
- Granny Square Cardigan - modern take on a classic motif
More Free Patterns + Tutorials
Can't get enough free crochet patterns!? Me either. You'll definitely want to breeze through these collections to find your next project.
- 55+ Free Crochet Sweater and Cardigan Patterns - our most popular garments
- 40+ Free Crochet Blanket Patterns - baby blankets, throws + c2c graphgans
- 36+ Granny Square Patterns + tips for the perfect square
- 30+ Crochet Animal Patterns - adorable amigurumi stuffed animals
- Crochet Gift Ideas - easy patterns to make for others
- Fast Crochet Projects - start to finish in less than a day
Learn a New Skill
And when you're ready to master a new skill, check out our detailed guides that include everything you need to know to level up your crochet game.
- How to Corner to Corner (C2C) Crochet for Beginners - with video tutorials to get you started
- How to Crochet a Beginner Hat - make an entire beanie in 1.5 hours!
- How to Crochet Amigurumi for Beginners - the ultimate guide to making your own toys and plushies
- How to Tunisian Crochet - learn with this video and a standard hook
More Free Beginner Crochet Patterns
Now that you're on a roll, here are some more beginner crochet patterns you might enjoy.
1. 1 Hour Beanie - This slightly slouchy easy child’s crochet hat pattern works up in about an hour and is perfect for beginners because it’s made from a simple rectangle.
2. Alfresco Top - If you can crochet a rectangle, you can make this easy crochet top pattern! With very simple stitches and minimal counting, this lightweight top is a perfect mindless make to work on poolside.
3. Solstice Long Cardigan - Minimal counting and two short seams come together in an easy, crochet long cardigan that’s perfect for layering.
4. Tributary Baby Blanket - Learn how to make a beginner crochet baby blanket with this easy free pattern and tutorial. You’ll be left with very few ends to weave in and a blanket that’s as soft as a baby’s…well, you know.