This collection of modern crochet stitches for blankets and afghans is sure to provide inspiration for your next project! Whether you’re planning a quick baby blanket or a large throw, these step-by-step stitch tutorials have you covered.
When I was a kid, all of my crochet projects were some form of a massive (half-finished) afghan made with single crochet. In the pre-Pinterest dark ages in which I grew up, I had no idea there were literally hundreds of other far more interesting and unique crochet stitches to use for blankets and afghans.
So, today I bring you 25 crochet stitch tutorials that go far beyond the bounds of single crochet. The best part? Many of these stitches are based on super simple concepts, like single or double crochet, so you can still master them in one episode of “Orange Is the New Black.”
As you find the a crochet stitch for your next afghan or blanket, think about how it would look with stripes or in a different weight of yarn. There are so many possibilities once you get into the world of unique crochet stitches.
Be sure to pin this collection of crochet stitches for blankets for later so you’ll always have stitch inspiration at hand!
1. Herringbone Double Crochet from Make and Do Crew
2. Wattle Stitch from Mama in a Stitch
3. Cluster Stitch from Hopeful Honey
5. Textured Wave Stitch from B.hooked Crochet
6. Side Saddle Stitch from Make and Do Crew
7. V Stitch from Mama in a Stitch
8. Diamond Stitch from Hopefully Honey
9. Overlapping Post Stitch from Moogly
11. Moss Stitch from Make and Do Crew
12. Tunisian Simple Stitch from B.hooked Crochet
13. Bean Stitch from Sophie and Me
14. Grit Stitch from Moogly
15. Plaid Stitch from DIY Everywhere
16. Suzette Stitch from Make and Do Crew
17. Vintage Fan Ripple Stitch from B.hooked Crochet
18. Single Crochet Chevron from B.hooked Crochet
19. Crossed Half Double Crochet Stitch from Mama in a Stitch
20. Box Stitch from Crochet News
21. Arcade Stitch from Wool and the Gang
22. Jasmine Stitch from Love Crochet
23. Granny Stipe Stitch from Hopeful Honey
24. Pretty Pebbles Stitch from Oombawka Design
25. Larksfoot Stitch from Dream a Little Bigger
WANT MORE FREE PATTERNS?
Get exclusive free crochet patterns, DIY inspiration and project templates that'll knock your handmade socks off!