Whether you’re just learning how to crochet a cardigan or you’re an experienced pro, this collection of easy crochet cardigan patterns is sure to include your next favorite sweater. Most of these free patterns include plus sizes and video tutorials!
In my opinion, nothing beats a crochet cardigan for instant style appeal. I love how a cardigan can create an intentional, layered look that doesn’t seem like you’re trying too hard. Cardigans can be styled with jeans, dresses or leggings for lots of different outfit options.
If you’re more of a beginner and wondering how to crochet a cardigan, you’re in luck because many of these free crochet cardigan patterns include step-by-step video tutorials. I know the designs look complicated, but you’ll be amazed at how many of these crochet sweaters and jackets are just made from simple rectangles! (See all our free crochet garment patterns made from simple shapes here.)
Crochet Cardigan Patterns with Plus Sizes
It’s important to me that our designs can be made by nearly anyone. That’s why whenever possible, our crochet cardigan patterns include plus sizes up to 3X or 5X. (As I’ve expanded my design skills and found a tech editor I trust, we’ve begun to aim for sizing up to 5X on all patterns. Thanks for your patience on those that stop at 2X or 3X.)
Save This Continually Expanding List of Modern Crochet Cardigan Patterns
Cardigans are my absolute favorite crochet patterns to design! We’ll continue adding to this list of free crochet cardigan patterns, so be sure to save it to your Pinterest crochet board so you can reference it next time you’re itching to crochet a new cardigan. You can always find all our free crochet sweater patterns here.
Free Crochet Cardigan Patterns (With Plus Sizes)
1. Sherpa Cardigan – It doesn’t look knit! It doesn’t look crocheted! But this cozy cardigan does look just like a real sherpa sweater. Follow our beginner friendly video tutorials to learn the very basic Tunisian crochet skills necessary to crochet this jacket. Pin this pattern for later here.
2. Habitat Crochet Cardigan – No one will guess you created this figure-flattering cardigan from a simple rectangle. Made with extremely soft yarn for a cozy-but-not-too-bulky look, you’ll find yourself reaching for this beginner crochet cardigan over and over again. Video tutorial included. Pin this pattern for later here.
4. Strata Crochet Cardigan With Hood – The main body of this free crochet sweater pattern with a hood is worked in one piece, making it almost seamless and very beginner-friendly. Pin this pattern for later here.
5. Brunch Hexagon Cardigan – This incredibly comfortable crochet cardigan sweater is simpler than it looks. Made from two basic hexagons, you’ll love watching your new favorite cardigan take shape! Pin this pattern for later here.
7. Dwell Chunky Crochet Sweater – Creatively constructed from a simple rectangle, this flattering chunky crochet sweater comes together easily with zero shaping, increasing or decreasing. Includes a detailed, step-by-step video tutorial. Pin this pattern for later here.
8. Free Range C2C Crochet Cardigan – A few basic rectangles come together to form a gorgeously drapy, on-trend sweater in this simple corner to corner crochet cardigan pattern. Pin this pattern for later here.
9. Fur Trimmed Cardigan – Coming next week! Subscribe in the box below and I’ll let you know when the free pattern is live!
WANT MORE FREE SIMPLE SWEATER PATTERNS?
I'd love to send you more fashion-forward free crochet patterns and yarn news that will make you feel like a goddess of DIY! You in?
10. Day Date Easy Crochet Cardigan – Two simple crochet hexagons transform into a lightweight, on-trend cardigan complete with cozy pockets and roomy bishop sleeves. Video tutorial included to help you along the way. Pin this pattern for later here.
11. Up North Crochet Cardigan – This easy, cotton crochet cardigan pattern for beginners uses a very simple construction to create a show-stopping look with entry level skills. It’s nice weight helps it double as a lightweight fall jacket too. Video tutorial included. Pin this pattern for later here.
12. Haven Bobble Crochet Cardigan – With a super easy construction based on a rectangle, this free crochet sweater pattern is playful, fast and perfect for beginner to advanced crocheters. You’ll love watching it come together with zero increasing or decreasing! Video tutorial included. Pin this pattern for later here.
14. Stonewash Easy Crochet Shrug – Don’t let the dolman sleeves and modern silhouette fool you, this easy crochet shrug pattern is constructed with basic stitches and simple shapes. Great sweater for confident beginners! Pin this pattern for later here.
15. Staycation Women’s Crochet Cardigan – This stylishly oversized women’s crochet cardigan pattern is perfect for trips to the farmer’s market, art museum–or the couch! Pin this pattern for later here.
16. Alchemy Crochet Cardigan – This lightweight sweater is perfect to toss on for some summer stargazing or layer with a long-sleeve shirt in the colder months. Detailed, step-by-step video tutorials included! Pin this pattern for later here.
17. Cocoon Simple Crochet Shrug – You’d never guess by looking at this sweater that it’s made from two simple rectangles! This free crochet pattern is great for beginners who are looking to expand their skills or advanced crocheters who want a quick, stylish project. Pin this pattern for later here.
18. XO Child’s Crochet Cardigan – Designed to accompany the women’s Day Date Cardigan, this four-season child’s crochet cardigan pattern is made from two simple hexagons! Crochet one for all the stylish girls in your life. (Sizes newborn-14) Pin this pattern for later here.
20. Navajo Blanket Crochet Shrug – While this free crochet shrug pattern resembles the look of tapestry crochet, its Navajo-blanket-inspired design is actually made by switching colors mid-row using basic crochet techniques. Video tutorial included. Pin this pattern for later here.
Ready For More Crochet Inspiration?
We’ve collected our best patterns and tutorials into simple collections so you can find what you need.
• See our favorite crochet sweater patterns (pullovers, cardigans, jackets, ponchos!) here.
• See our favorite crochet stitches for blankets and afghans here.
• See our favorite Tunisian crochet stitches with video tutorials here. (Don’t know how to Tunisian crochet yet? Grab a standard crochet hook and follow our beginner video tutorial!)
WANT MORE FREE SIMPLE SWEATER PATTERNS?
I'd love to send you more fashion-forward free crochet patterns that will make you feel like a goddess of DIY! You in?